So, those of you that know and follow me probably have seen a lot of my posts about my interest in Korean dramas (Kdramas) and writing fanfiction for them. In fact, I had a Harlequin editor interested in my kdrama fanfiction on Wattpad too. (Of course, I’ve sent in a proposal and I’m still waiting to hear back. Cross your fingers.) But as I’ve been passing time over the last year recovering from my medical issues, I’ve become quite addicted to watching them. It was only natural I would start writing in regards to them, especially since I’ve been exploring with fan fiction. (For those that don’t know, the successful book Fifty Shades of Grey started on Wattpad as Twilight fan fiction.)
So, I was watching my current Kdrama, My Unfortunate Boyfriend, when I started thinking about how many similar tropes there are in most of the Kdramas. Besides having a lot of romance novel structure, they tend to have some events or tropes that happen in every drama. How much fun would it be to have a list that when watching a Kdrama, you could take a drink every time you saw a trope typical for Kdramas? I thought, hmm, that’s a great idea. Thus, the Kdrama Drinking Game was born.
I’ve listed 10 different tropes that tend to happen in all the Kdramas I’ve watched so far. So, print out the list or have it set on your phone/laptop. Pour your favorite glass of wine or other tasty adult beverage, and watch your Kdrama. Every time you see one of the following 10 things happen in a scene, take a drink. Have fun!
(Note: MC=Main Character)
- MC girl rides on the back of the MC boy.
- Either MC falls accidentally on top of the other.
- Either MC yells or gets mad at the other.
- MCs are stuck together in a mysterious house, room, pit, bunker or IE> are trapped together in some way. Bonus Drink: There is a storm going on outside.
- MCs have their first kiss.
- MCs have any kiss.
- MC male lead takes off his shirt and shows off his amazing torso. (Heck, rewind and watch again and have a double.)
- MC male lead catches the MC female lead while she falls for any reason. (Fainting and tripping are the biggies. Extra drink if she falls for a reason other than these two.)
- Flashback of either MC. Bonus drink: If the flashback is with both MCs together.
- Either MC lead cooks for the other.
This is just the list I came up with. I’m sure there are more that can be added. If you think I missed a good one, feel free to write it into the comments section and I can add it onto the master list.
So, now that I’ve got that out of my system, time to get back to my NaNoWriMo 2016 writing. Enjoy your Kdrama! -Marilyn